If you are suffering from diabetes your blood sugar levels should be kept under control by leading a healthy lifestyle. You probably know which foods you should avoid, but do you know which snacks are good for you? Let’s take a look at some of the best diabetic snacks:
The Best Snack Ideas If You Have Diabetes
1. Homemade popcorn
- You can make your own homemade popcorn with ½ cup of kernels and 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- For a richer flavour you can add salt, Parmesan cheese, or garlic powder.
2. Smoothie with protein
- Take your favourite fruits and vegetables and make your own smoothie.
- You can add Greek yogurt, protein powder, and nut butter.
3. Cheese and apples
- If you eat too much of this combo you might raise the levels of your blood sugar.
- That’s why you should cut an apple in half and combine it with low-fat cheddar cheese.
4. Greek yogurt with raisins
- Join 1 tablespoon of raisins and ½ cup of Greek yogurt (plain) and eat it every day.
5. Natural fruit leather
- When you work out your blood sugar will drop low, which is why you should eat fruit leather to bring back the sugar levels back to normal.
6. Chicken noodle soup
- Soup that is low in sodium and contains proteins and veggies, as well as noodles is an excellent healthy snack choice.
7. Black bean salad
- This salad will satisfy your hunger and keep the blood glucose levels under control.
- You should mix diced, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, avocado, black beans, and add salt & pepper, garlic, and lemon juice, and you will get a tasty salad.
8. Egg salad
- Boil few eggs and mash them. Add 1 tsp. of mayo (low-fat) and you will get a creamy egg salad.
- You can also add bread (whole-wheat) or multigrain crackers.
9. Yogurt dip and vegetables
- All vegetables contain vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- You should pick your favourite raw veggies and dip them into yogurt to get more protein.
- You can spice up the yogurt with salt & pepper, dill, and lemon juice.
10. Personal pizza
- You can make your own pizza by using tortilla crust (whole-grain), cooked vegetables, tomato sauce, and 1 ounce of shredded cheese.
- Bake the pizza into the oven and enjoy it!